Taking it to the streets29 Nov 2017
Rethinking the role of streets will be a key focus for our next Smart Urban Futures conference in March 2018.
Headlining the conference will be Peter Jones OBE Professor of Transport and Sustainable Development at University College in London. He is the leading originator of the Link and Place approach to street planning and design that has been incorporated into UK Department for Transport national guidelines and is the basis for VicRoads’ emerging Movement and Place framework. Amongst his many other activities and achievements, Peter is an advisor to Transport for London, the European Commission and various national governments.
Other keynote speakers include:
- Peter Newman AO, Professor of Sustainability at Curtin University (Perth). One of Australia's leading thinkers on transport and urban planning, he has written 20 books and over 340 papers on sustainable cities. Peter has worked in local government as an elected councillor, in state government as an advisor to three Premiers and in the Australian Government on the Board of Infrastructure Australia and the Prime Minister’s Cities Reference Group. In 2014 he was awarded an Order of Australia for his contributions to urban design and sustainable transport.
- Kylie Legge, the Founding Director of PlaceScore and the author of ‘Doing it Differently’ and ‘Future City Solutions’. She has presented to placemaking and architecture conferences in Venice, Stockholm and Buenos Aires.
- Dr Seona Candy, Senior Research Fellow at the Victorian Eco-Innovation Lab and Deputy Leader for the Future Cities Node of Excellence in Post-Carbon Resilient Cities. She has worked with communities in Australia, Nepal, Cambodia and East Timor.
The conference will also include sessions on:
- Fostering progressive leadership towards healthy, liveable, sustainable communities
- Low carbon futures and creating an urban forest
- Economics and measuring success in urban form
This conference will provide both inspiration and practical pathways for delivering smart urban futures, no matter how large or small the community.
The Smart Urban Futures conference is jointly presented by the Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV) and Victoria Walks