Smart Urban Futures conference 2018
The 5th annual Smart Urban Futures conference on Liveable, Walkable, Sustainable Communities will be held in Melbourne in March 2018.
Key conference themes this year are:
- Street design that balances placemaking and transport, and the potential for state and local government to implement it
- Fostering progressive leadership towards healthy, liveable, sustainable communities
- Low carbon futures and creating an urban forest
- Economics and measuring success in urban form
- Preparing communities for a future with smart technology, robots and autonomous vehicles.
Keynote speakers include:
Peter Jones OBE, Professor of Transport and Sustainable Development at University College London
Leading originator of the Link and Place approach to street planning and design that has been incorporated into UK Department for Transport national guidelines and is the basis for VicRoads’ emerging Movement and Place framework. Peter Jones is an advisor to Transport for London, the European Commission and various national governments.
Peter Newman AO, Professor of Sustainability at Curtin University (Perth)
Peter Newman has written 20 books and over 340 papers on sustainable cities. In 2014 he was awarded an Order of Australia for his contributions to urban design and sustainable transport. Peter has worked in local government as an elected councillor, in state government as an advisor to three Premiers and in the Australian Government on the Board of Infrastructure Australia and the Prime Minister’s Cities Reference Group.
Kylie Legge, Founding Director, PlaceScore
Kylie is the author of the Urban Trends book series, as well as ‘Doing it Differently’ and ‘Future City Solutions’. She has presented to placemaking and architecture conferences in Venice, Stockholm and Buenos Aires.
Dr Seona Candy, Senior Research Fellow, Victorian Eco-Innovation Lab
Seona is the principal researcher on the Future Cities Distributed Infrastructure project and Deputy Leader for the Future Cities Node of Excellence in Post-Carbon Resilient Cities. She has worked on food security and energy related projects with communities in Australia, Nepal, Cambodia and East Timor.
The conference also offers:
- Diverse opportunities for real conversations about liveable, walkable sustainable communities
- Case studies of projects that are delivering better futures in practice
- An opportunity to experience innovative street design on the ground, with a Walkshop hosted by the City of Port Phillip.
This conference will provide both inspiration and practical pathways for delivering smart urban futures, no matter how large or small your community.
- The conference will be held on Wednesday March 21 and Thursday March 22, 2018 at the Angliss Conference Centre, 555 LaTrobe St, Melbourne
- Why pay more than $1,000 for a conference? This event is superb value at $594. And staff or councillors from Victoria Walks supporter organisations are eligible for a 20% discount – incredible value at just $475! (maximum two per organisation)
The Smart Urban Futures conference is jointly presented by the Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV) and Victoria Walks